Sunday 11 November 2007

Dream Theatre Blackburn KGH 11th November

What a coup, Dream Theater playing Blackburn, not that I am a great fan, but I do like what they do, and as they are playing in my home town, they have to be seen.

Supported by Symphony X, a good heads down rock outfit with some good tunes, the night kicks of with a bang. That is until mr security bastard informs me that the taking of photographs will not be allowed, and that they would be saying the same to everyone who attempts to take any illicit photographs all through the night, and true to their word they were.

Anyway, that would not spoil it for me, as Dream Theater make their way to the stage, obscured by a blackout curtain, into music filtered out and they were off. Tiny cameras have been discreetly placed around the stage and feed from these cameras are projected onto the rear of the stage for all to see, thus providing strange angles to view the band from. Some members play up to these cameras, while the others act as though they are not there.

Most of the songs they played tonight I knew, or rather I had heard before, but to ask be what they were called, my answer would comprise of a set of shrugged shoulders, but that does not matter, for they play with such precision, complex structures are executed with out the need for a safety net.

Two hours of this are lapped up by a most appreciative audience, but all good things have eventually to come to an end. We all spill out onto a cold Sunday evening in November, to discuss what we have seen and heard. All that remains is to head off home, which for me takes all of five minutes. Hurrah.

Sorry no pictures are available from me for this gig - thanks mr security bastard

No comments: